Choosing a Major

One of the many challenging decisions that students have to make for college is what they want to major in. At JBU, the list continues to grow, with new majors being added practically every year. With so many options, and each one being uniquely different, it can be a daunting task for students that have a wide variety of skills or interests. 

We asked some JBU students what advice they would give to people who are trying to choose a major. Here’s what they said:

“While some people know what they want to do in college years before showing up, everyone figures out where they should be as they go along. If you want to be undecided for a bit, that’s okay! There is no pressure and not too much of a rush. If you’re struggling to figure it out, maybe try career counseling at the Student Development Center or make a list of the things you enjoy doing and go from there.” – Triniti Horner, Junior

“I didn’t make the decision until my second semester at JBU. I needed time to grow and experience things. My brother was a student here and was an English major, and I wanted to make sure I didn’t just follow along with him. I wanted it to be something I was really passionate about.” – Leah Dolloff, Junior

“Go with your gut. I believe it’s important to be more worried about being happy than about how much money you can make with your degree. Pick something you know you would want to do for years and years.” – David Carbajal, Sophomore

About the author

Spencer Bailey

Copyright © 2014. Created by Meks. Powered by WordPress.