Category - Community

Which Do You Need More: Fingers or Coffee?
Don’t Let Video Games Control Your Life
Spaghetti Politics
Transitioning is Hard
How I Returned From Cloud Nine

Which Do You Need More: Fingers or Coffee?

“Let’s go biking!” I look at Hannah like she’s crazy. “It’s 20 degrees outside.” “So? I’ll buy you coffee!” I deliberate for a moment, but she definitely has me. I’ll do anything for free coffee. “Fine.” The sky is bright and the sun looks warm and inviting, but the outdoors is deceptive. The cold hits me like a wall of death, freezing my nose off and turning my fingers into icicles. Even sitting on my bike seat feels cold and painful. “Why are we doing this?” I ask, but start to laugh when Hannah gives me that look—the one that[…]

Read More

Don’t Let Video Games Control Your Life

In my two years of dorm living, I’ve noticed a common thread. Hardcore gamers are some of the most isolated people on campus. Having lived in J. Alvin, the loudest, most boisterous, testosterone-filled dorm on JBU’s campus, I understand that dorm life can be anyone’s nightmare. For someone shy, introverted, quiet, or in need of time alone, retreating to the dorm room with just the console and a headset seems like such a relief. However, too much of this can result in isolation, loss of friendships, and missed opportunities. Last year, one of my suite mates spent the majority of his time in[…]

Read More

Spaghetti Politics

You’re scanning. As you hopelessly search, your cafeteria spaghetti is getting cold. You see someone across the room. “Is that Jack? No. Definitely not Jack. Wait, there’s a spot next to Ryan.” You greet everyone at the table with a quick smile and begin winding up your noodles. Then, like a mouse snapped in a trap, you realize your fate. You hear the words “Donald Trump.” Politics. The favorite table topic. Great. If you’re a lover of harmony like me, you panic. Your mind begins to race.  “Should I say anything? Should I share my REAL opinion?  Is it worth it?” All you want is to blend in and[…]

Read More

Transitioning is Hard

I’m a missionary kid (MK) from Guatemala, Central America. I grew up there and didn’t spend a whole lot of time in the United States before moving to John Brown University. I was so excited, but also terrified. I wasn’t just moving out of my parents’ home, but also changing countries and cultures—all with no family or connections within a ten-hour drive. I flew up from Guatemala alone. Walking away from my parents before entering security was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. I knew my life was changing forever but wasn’t entirely sure what future I[…]

Read More

How I Returned From Cloud Nine

It was surreal, driving onto JBU’s campus for the first time since last May. Seven months doesn’t sound like a long time, but so much had happened in my life that it felt like a lifetime. I’d spent the summer working in Iowa, and then had flown to Northern Ireland to study for three months and explore the culture and country. There were 20 of us who lived together, grew together and formed our own tiny little family. I lived in Belfast, Northern Ireland this past fall semester, learned philosophy, theology and literature from Irish professors, got to know and love a[…]

Read More

Copyright © 2014. Created by Meks. Powered by WordPress.